From the first photo to the final image, it took me half a year. Not continuously working on it but also waiting for inspiration, searching for the right tools, experimenting with different methods.
So now I am really happy to finally got it finished and decided to feature this with a little making of.
Lots of different methods and techniques where used for this.
- taking photos of the bark
- stitching them together
- seamless transitions between the parts
- transforming a tree stamp to a horn / teeth
- making normal maps to get relief information for relighting in a 3d application
- photo retouch to get the look
and some techniques I canceled:
- Putting the environment on a 3d sphere with the correct geometry and texture of the face to get exact reflections
- trying to paint the smoke with brush strokes
Now the final step is to print it out. The resolution supports 1,5 x 1 meter or around 60 x 40 inc